Friday, August 6, 2010

Introducing new Ubuntista (and Ubuntu Trap author) Philip Kneitinger

Hey Ubuntistas,

I'm extremely pleased to announce a new author for the Ubuntu Trap.  I decided to ask him a few introductory questions to help you get an idea of how epically awesome Phil is.
 

Who is Phil K?
I'm a native son and ardent supporter of Buffalo, NY, and also the author and editor of Black & Blue & Gold. I'm a single dad with a kick-*ss son and I'm into heavy metal, being an amateur foodie, collecting hockey jerseys and vinyl records, and watching freaky foreign flicks.


Everyone has their story about getting into Ubuntu, what's yours?
My brother is a huge evangelist for open source. He heard me yelling at my laptop in frustration one day, and suggested Ubuntu. Then he suggested it again, and again, and again, and again. Finally I relented and haven't looked back since.


People are always weary about switching to Ubuntu from another OS.  From your experience how would you go about enticing them to join the Ubuntu community?
There are two ways to go about this: push inclusion on big box desktops and push the improved casual user experience. Dell already includes the OS, but doesn't do a very good job marketing it. If my own experience with Ubuntu is the norm, then it's a far superior casual user experience over Windows and ought to be presented as such. Sure, it takes getting used to the new application installation process (.deb instead of .exe), but it's WELL worth it.


What do you most look forward to in Ubuntu MM?
I'm most excited for the streamlined and upgraded graphical presentation and application integration of the desktop/laptop version of Meerkat, but the Unity interface for netbooks has me giddy. I'm most likely getting a netbook as my next computer, so I'll be keeping a close eye on its development.

I can't wait for the day that Canonical announces the beginning of the Ubuntu tablet project so I can get something kickass like an Archos 9 or the like and be able to load up a fully touch-functional build of Ubuntu.

So Phil has an awesome background to be an author here on the Ubuntu Trap.  He's a good bud of mine, and I fully expect his enthusiasm about Ubuntu to spread throughout the etherwebs.  Please give him a warm welcome in the comments section!

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the informative writing. Would mind updating some good tips about it. I still wait your next place.
    An offbeat from tradition and formality. simple wedding dresses are relatively less considered compared with common cascading ones. Yet there’s always a need to break away from the norm for a little while. Amber’s wedding dresses 2012 favor you an untilled land to show off your talent and philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although you will discover the few women that usually climbing shoes are bored with trend, don't assume all ladies are usually delayed bloomers as well as indifferent when it arrives for you to putting on a costume a fantastic assortment just simply men cashmere sweater been there included and also produced the drive watching his or her mothers get into character for any exclusive occasion.

    ReplyDelete